Exhumed / PowerSlave DeHacker Updated

Corvin

Re: Exhumed / PowerSlave DeHacker Updated

Postby Corvin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:31 pm

oh. Not sure you should change the version check keys [ALT V] that is is version check , right?

Then again maybe remap that function elsewhere.
It shouldn't get confusing if one checks the version info with a new set of keys since they would knowingly be using your hacks by then.

I personally don't use ALT or the V key for anything. The C key I use like the olden days of duke, to crouch....
-=CHE@TER=-

Postby -=CHE@TER=- » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:52 pm

Corvin wrote:[ALT V] that is is version check , right?
Yes.

Corvin wrote:Then again maybe remap that function elsewhere.
It shouldn't get confusing if one checks the version info with a new set of keys since they would knowingly be using your hacks by then.
Oh, that's make sense. The only problem here if someone distribute already modified executable without appropriate notice somewhere but I guess this will be a minor issue then.

Corvin wrote:I personally don't use ALT or the V key for anything. The C key I use like the olden days of duke, to crouch....
Well, we didn't know if there are someone who may use this keys for something.
By the way, if we're talking about default keyboard controls - Duke Nukem 3D uses "A" / "Z" for jump / crouch and only game that I knew (of course maybe there are others) which introduces "C" for crouching is Quake II with the Space / "C" for jump / crouch.
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:04 pm

I'm not concerned my self about modified exe's being distributed. I wouldn't bother with them, I would prefer your patcher only so I can select what I need from it.
EX: I wouldn't follow such a thing at this time.

Yup the orginal olden days WASD configuration, with C to crouch and E to jump and space to open/use? I think thats what I had back then.
It was something between dn3d and a quake configuration. :\

EDIT: Maybe E was open/use and space was jump. IDK :\
-=CHE@TER=-

Postby -=CHE@TER=- » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:00 pm

After some work I fixed bug with the "C" key and even without remapping or breaking compatability with the Alt+C hotkey.
Since this bug requires immediate attention, because its partially my bug (corrupts "HOLLY" console input) I release new version of the DeHacker a lot earlier than I expected. You can download it at its usual place. Change log (also can be found in SOURCES\EXPSDEHK.TXT file):

Code: Select all

v1.4 [2018.03.13]
- DeHacker can be run now even without required files to view "About DeHacker"
- reworked "Fix C key to work properly" hack - now it should be fixed
  There was a bug in "HOLLY" console with the "C" key with old hack code.
- add "Invert mouse aim" hack
  Invert vertical mouse movement (on the Y-axis).
- add "Tweak grenade throw code" hack
  Only [Fire] holding delay will affect distance (total player velocity excluded).
- this history file created

Corvin could you please replace this text here:
"Use [SendMessage] to take screenshots" (default key: F12)"
with this one?
"Allow F12 key to take screenshots"
Since SendMessage was a debug code which I was discussing with you via e-mail but it never used in any release version.
Thanks!
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:31 am

okay, I changed the text.
Do you want me to leave the older versions archives up there? I kept them just in case.
-=CHE@TER=-

Postby -=CHE@TER=- » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:55 pm

Corvin wrote:okay, I changed the text.
Thanks!

Do you want me to leave the older versions archives up there? I kept them just in case.
Only if you wish so. The latest version always completely supersedes any old one, because it has all the fetures from previous one, plus new features, plus bugfixes, etc. It would make a sense to keep archive if a new version has some features missing or broken. But this is not the case here.

And I almost forgot to write back about the "V" key. I checked both games and disassembled code - it looks like only the "C" key was affected by that bug. So even if you don't use any fixes and play the original unmodified executables you can bind anything to the "V" key without any problem, even the crouch command.
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:09 pm

Could you add your BUILD Game content to your signature for the forum? It would be nice to have links to your content present under you posts. :)

Oh, I went to your web page , p vs e and didn't see the new information for your awesome! new v1.4 patcher. Are you still in the process of updating the details?
-=CHE@TER=-

Postby -=CHE@TER=- » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:57 pm

Corvin wrote:Could you add your BUILD Game content to your signature for the forum? It would be nice to have links to your content present under you posts. :)
There are no much BUILD content on my site - only 3 tools and in a different places. But I'll think about what can I do.

Corvin wrote:Oh, I went to your web page , p vs e and didn't see the new information for your awesome! new v1.4 patcher. Are you still in the process of updating the details?
There are no separate date category for changes because it's just a tool update, and not an article. I just merged everything with the last update 2017.08.31 since there are only few differences on the page ("Invert mouse aim" and "Tweak grenade throw code" paragraphs), so I only mention about new version at the main site page, but download link already for version 1.4. Sorry for that. It's too much hassle to do it properly and I catched a cold and don't feel very well, so I did this lazy update since I had a bit free time.
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:23 am

Okay about SIG. But your contributions to BUILD games is tremendous. So its important.

Okay I have your updated patcher in the downloads, next is to get a news item posted.

Havn't tried out the patches yet....
-=CHE@TER=-

Postby -=CHE@TER=- » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:17 am

Digging up the corpses^W^W more bugs.

Here some data gathered from the game. Let's start with the weapons and its damage (in points):

Name              Damage  Comments
;----------------------------------
1 - Machete        100     per one hit
2 - .357 Magnum    100     per one bullet
3 - M-60           60      per one bullet (x3 in one shot = 180)
4 - Flame Thrower  20      per one flame  (x4 in one shot = 80)
5 - Grenades       1000    distance depended (usually around 900 - damage dropped with distance)
6 - Cobra Stuff    800     distance depended (usually around 720 - damage dropped with distance)
7 - Rah Gauntlet   ???     will hit enemies until their death (but there are some time/hits limit)
8 - Mummy Stuff    ???     distance depended (usually around 1176 - damage dropped with distance)

Notes and comments:
- In STUFF.DAT you can find three unused sounds: "SG_CLICK.VOC", "SG_FIRE.VOC" and "SG_LOAD.VOC"; SG = ShotGun; also note shotgun at the game box cover art, it's was actually planed but for some unknown reasons was never implemented - there are no code or sprite animation exists; another interesting thing that PowerSlave Beta doesn't have these sound files in .GRR (crypted .VOC); this will make me think that game was very rushed (see also all other bugs mentioned earlier).

And now enemies and their health (also in points):

Name                Health     Internal name
;--------------------------------------------
 0 - Anubis          540        Anubis
 1 - Spider          160        Spider
 2 - Mummy (revived) 640 (300)  Mummy
 3 - Piranha         200        Fish
 4 - Bastet          500        Lion
 5 - Magmantis       4000       Lava
 6 - Ammit           4000       Rex
 7 - Set             8000       Set
 8 - Kilmaatikhan    4000       Queen
 9 - Kilmaat Sentry  600        Roach(0)
10 - Kilmaat Sentry  600        Roach(1)
11 - Omen Wasp       800        Wasp
12 - Selkis          20000      Scorp
13 - Rat             0          Rat

Notes and comments:
- Mummy normal health 640 points and revived 300 points.
- Kilmaat Sentry 9 and 10 created with the same code but with some input value 0 and 1 respectively; this input value never used in actual code, so this must be leftover from the earlier version where two different Kilmaat Sentry was actually planned.
- Rat health literally zero so any amount of damage will kill it.
- This table above missing some minor enemies spawned by bosses.
- Another interesting thing digged from the game code: you may notice some background creepy sounds playing every around 4 seconds, it's indicate that there are still alive enemies on the level, if you kill everyone those background noises will stop (note that this will not work on the final level 20) - you can easily test this at the training level (don't forget that even Piranha counts too!).

And now something really interesting. You may notice that in later levels with many Omen Wasps there are always a lot of Cobra Stuff ammo (load level 13 as example). And you may think that it's very wise level designers decision because you may assume that direct hit of one Cobra does equal damage for one Omen Wasp (800 damage for 800 health). But!.. Here is a big fat BUT. Grenades and Cobra Stuff shared the same buggy code for explosions. And because of that you will be VERY lucky if your Cobra really does full 800 points damage. I don't know if that explosion code was an untested last minute change or what but it's completely break gameplay balance because you need to fire two Cobras or switch to any other weapon to finish off Omen Wasp after hit with the first Cobra. I did a lot of tests with the mummy enemy (I set it's health to 5000 for that) and max damage which I manage to did with Cobra was 720 points. And I teseted with actual Omen Wasp enemy and it's the same problem.

One way to fix this is to increase the initial damage in code so any explsions will do an intended full damage. But this will cause some side effects: for example, since max player health 800 points too you'll be instantly killed by Cobra if you fire it in closed space or Cobra didn't see any enemies and get back to attack you instead. In short: you didn't survive even one Cobra hit.

Return to “Powerslave / Exhumed”