DN3DWT

Corvin

Re: DN3DWT

Postby Corvin » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:32 am

Anyone get this on Steam or XBox?
Anyone get a physical copy from Gamestop?
Hank

Postby Hank » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:42 am

Corvin wrote:Anyone get this on Steam or XBox?
Anyone get a physical copy from Gamestop?

I have the game. At it's current stage, you need to be a real Duke fan to appreciated it.
One of the better works of the game
... time waits for no one.
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Fri May 05, 2017 10:40 pm

I remember when 3DRealms was selling the Atomic Edition for 20 bucks and everyone thought it was too much for a DOS Game, they had it on sale for like five or more years after printing new disks. People believed 5 bucks should be adequate for the purchase of the game. This was after the fact that Duke3D nearly dropped out of existence back in the late 1990's. People even complained about the shipping cost of sending the CD in the mail on top of the 20 bucks. After the long wait, years, they dropped the price to 10 bucks and discontinued the Plutonium CD Upgrade, which was 10 buck previously.

Now the World Tour edition by Gearbox is out and gamers are finding the 20 bucks is too much for an engine update and episode addition. Me personally find it costs too much and should have been a patch to the dos game, so dos patching upto the new windows engine. Maybe 10 bucks would have been a good price for a a new patch.

There is also concern about the Megaton edition being removed from being a purchasable item. But more than so the concerns are less constructed verbally, and more represent crying. But from what I understand if you bought the game (again some did, even if they had the Dos version) they get to keep the Megaton game.

I can see that all this was and is unfair to the Duke3D Hard Core fans. But all the demanding and bitching, representing crying just isn't the way to go.
So far I haven't seen either company give into it yet. That's not whats important, but it's noticeable.
Hank

Postby Hank » Fri May 12, 2017 5:29 am

People will complain about anything – it's human nature. At Steam there were three hard core trolls at work. Those instigated most of the bitching and wining.

Gearbox won the exclusive rights to all of Duke games. Any previous Duke3D versions were pulled from the market. Then the new and improved Duke World Tour came out. It had flaws, as most other games have. Usually those flaws get fixed over time. World Tour is not fixed, nor is there a hint that a fix, or two or three are in progress.

After I heard Duke is a character in another crap game, I offered my World Tour to anyone that knows how to transfer a game on Steam. The reason is simple, Gearbox last move showed that they will never fix World Tour in my life time, unless positive cash flow is guaranteed. And this will not happen while World Tour is in an unfinished stage. Unfortunately, you can't transfer a game. So my copy collects dust on the Steam server.

As for the hard core fans, they still love their Duke, they still hope one day, there will be another game. As for me, I still can play with the original engine, do maps, textures and models. :mrgreen:
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Mon May 15, 2017 6:09 am

They did release one update. But I do realize it needs another larger update.

Gearbox DN3DWT Update
Released/Applied: November 2, 2016

General

-Restored original sound FX quality
-Added option to disable auto-aim
-Updated Duke3D.GRP file to work with source ports, and included original DUKE.RTS file
-“Use” button now traces to the crosshair, removing the need to crouch to use low buttons
-Widescreen aspect ratios now increase viewport width (rather than clipping height)
-Fixed Prima Arena (E5L8) so players can get 100% kills
-Improved sound ducking when listening to dev commentary
-Fixed “Clear” and “Reset” buttons in the keyboard config menu having their functionality swapped
-Pushing up on the right analog stick no longer toggles the run state

Workshop

-Fixed Workshop Uploader
-Fixed Workshop map display name issues

Bug Fixes

-Fixed bug with mini bosses sometimes killing themselves with their own projectiles
Hank

Postby Hank » Thu May 18, 2017 12:32 am

Corvin wrote:They did release one update. But I do realize it needs another larger update.

Gearbox DN3DWT Update
Released/Applied: November 2, 2016

... cut ...

Bug Fixes

-Fixed bug with mini bosses sometimes killing themselves with their own projectiles

Yes, it does need a little tender loving care.

Instead of the mini bosses killing themselves, they now become invincible, if you use the flame thrower on them. It's almost funny. :lol:
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Sat May 27, 2017 12:26 pm

Hank or whomever, do you remember any of the other bugs that need to be fixed in WT?
Hank

Postby Hank » Mon May 29, 2017 4:56 am

Here is a list, as far as I remember, with short comings, not real bugs.
*Boss 5, action and AI; basically missing, way too easy for a boss fight. It just stands there in the middle of the field, waiting to receive my ammo, and die.
*Boss 5 looks; is like Boss #3 with a palette change, less than hobbiest would even offer.
*Mini Bosses; when shot with the incinerator become invincible.
*Mini Bosses'; blowing themselves up with their own weapons, due to poor positioning.
*Lighting effect; rough surfaces like rocks and stones have the same reflectivity as glass and polished surfaces. Textures look flat even with their normal maps.
*Fireflys, new enemy, works well in groups and open spaces, but are not found there.
*Incinerator looks; it is the Freezer with a very poor paint over.
*Work Shop excludes the ability to include custom material, textures and actors.
*Level Editor, is still a secret that mapster32 works to make maps.

Cheers
Hank

Return to “Duke Nukem 3D”