Use The Forum?!

Discussion for anything RTCM
Corvin

Use The Forum?!

Postby Corvin » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:28 am

All the popular forums are dead.
However you guys are letting me get bored, here, when there is no communication going on the forum. :(

I know people read the forum, but the members that joined don't log in often and post anything of interest.
I was wondering if you like to use the site I built/helped build, can't we start posting information that this forum deserves?

I try to post things I would not post in the RTCM News section, but I'm doing a lot of blinded posting as it where. I don't know what everyone wants or hold dear to them on RTCM.

I'm not sure how many members there are, perhaps 26 maybe. Are we just too afraid to post here or whats the deal?
Shaking my head, but hoping I'm doing some good with my site, am I?
I just don't know since feedback rarely comes my way these days.

Its not just my forum, its all the forums, no ones posting too much. maybe to busy on social media or discord, both I prefer not to use. I like the Forum structure the most.
Okay, Corvin out.
-=CHE@TER=-

Re: Use The Forum?!

Postby -=CHE@TER=- » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:03 pm

Corvin wrote:All the popular forums are dead.
Its not just my forum, its all the forums, no ones posting too much. maybe to busy on social media or discord, both I prefer not to use. I like the Forum structure the most.
Unfortunately, that's all the story in a few sentences.
I've remember to read at some forum user signature which goes something like this: "Discord is killing forums".
Some IPS commnunity discussion on that matter - there are some suggestions from the people who running Discord to get users back to main site, but it's all resolves around creating restrictions, so the users will be forced to go to the site.
I write detailed explanation (sorry, only in Russian) why Discord and other modern system are bad. In few words: all your knowledge and information shared on the forums can be indexed by search engines - you can read, download, improve others people work, or instantly create your own on top of it without wasting time on already implemented features. But with Discord or any other similar social services everything is private. No indexing by search engines. No information or knowledge sharing. Nothing. IIRC, you even can't join other Discord group chat if you don't have invitation link. All this social media services not only killing forums - it is killing whole knowledge sharing concept. Not to mention all the Build or any other games fans will be separated to different chat groups, instead of single place, like here, where they can discuss things or find help from more experienced people.
But impartial truth is that with time all people interaction will be more and more primitive and it's go worse from there. If 20-30 years ago you'll need to know a lot about computer to be able to communicate with other people, now you have everything you want in a palm inside your smartphone.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there is not much we can do, but at least preserve information for the chosen ones who can break free from that vicious circle of social media.

Corvin wrote:I was wondering if you like to use the site I built/helped build, can't we start posting information that this forum deserves?
I try to post things I would not post in the RTCM News section, but I'm doing a lot of blinded posting as it where. I don't know what everyone wants or hold dear to them on RTCM.
The only suggestions I have - please do not upload any tools or detailed documentation on the forums, since the main site as information archive will loose it's value and purpose. Otherwise you can just staright upload everything to the forum and forget about site. I'll always see the forums as advanced comments section for the main site, plus guestbook to discuss things which may not be directly related to the main site (comments + guestbook = forums).

Corvin wrote:Shaking my head, but hoping I'm doing some good with my site, am I?
You definitely doing great!

Corvin wrote:I just don't know since feedback rarely comes my way these days.
It's everywhere like this. I've done not long ago a DeHacker for Dark Forces game and with all the downloads there is only one person who contacted me to help with documentation proofreading and testing for the latest version.
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:17 pm

Your are right on the mark and its confirmed my thoughts on the matter.
Thanks again , you helped alot with that single response. :)
BME

Postby BME » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:59 am

It sure is quite on many fronts, blood.freeminded is overgrown with thorned bushes, Cosmo the Coder's project is reduced to a layer of dust etc etc.
but I'm sure people are still peeking so now and then eventhough they don't show themselves, SHOOOOW THEMSEEEEELVESSSS!!!

Maybe the social(media) distancing got so far that even forums are avoided..... you know, the Caleb19 plandemic.
But that's old news of course, I've heard they are toppling stone gargoyles now.....

Blood Levels Mapper!

Return to “Site Help and Feedback”