Official EGwhaven thread.

Moderator: ETTiNGRiNDER

adambiser

Re: Official EGwhaven thread.

Postby adambiser » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:14 pm

Are you trying 40 (synctics 3) or 24 (synctics 5) FPS?

I'll try it out again and slow down my DOSBox. Looking at the code, I think that the "synctics = 3;" line should actually be placed above the "drawscreen(plr);" line, but I haven't tried this yet. I do see synctics used by drawweapons, which is called by drawscreen.

On a slow machine, synctics will be high, since I don't cap synctics until after the drawscreen call, it get's the uncapped value, which is bad.

Code: Select all

synctics=totalclock-lockclock;
      if (synctics >= 5) { // 24 FPS
         synctics = 5;
         drawscreen(plr);
         lockclock+=(long)synctics;
         processinput(plr);

if (netgame) {
             netgetmove();
             netsendmove();
         }
         processobjs(plr);
         animateobjs(plr);
         animatetags(plr);
         doanimations((long)synctics);
         dodelayitems((long)synctics);
      } else {
         synctics = 0;
      }

I'll try this out when I get the chance.
ETTiNGRiNDER

Postby ETTiNGRiNDER » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:38 pm

Unfortunately I don't think it'll be that simple, I tried moving the drawscreen() call down already and while that did seem to fix up the weapon animations, it made certain triggers not work (the goblins don't fight each other in the first level of WH1, but just stand there, and the entrance door doesn't open in the first level of WH2.) I am guessing a better solution is probably to go into drawweapons() (in WHPLR.C) and put in a capped temp value to decrement the frame time by instead of using synctics directly, but I haven't tried that yet. That or figuring out why the triggers break (which could be related to the footstep issue, too, I suppose).

I tried the version capping synctics at 3, but have mostly been going with 4 since that seemed the most logical to me (Doom was designed to run at 35 FPS as a half of a 70Hz monitor refresh rate, so one can assume 30 FPS as half of a 60Hz refresh rate might also make sense, but it's guesswork).
adambiser

Postby adambiser » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:52 pm

The footsteps didn't work for me at 30 FPS, but did at 24.

You can always set synctics to whatever you want before DrawScreen and then back to whatever after it...

Haven't had a chance to try this yet. Not having prior experience with the game makes knowing what's missing from it a bit hard for me.

EDIT: Goblins fight each other at the beginning of WH1 with 24 FPS. Don't have WH2 source set up for compiling right now.
ETTiNGRiNDER

Re: Official EGwhaven thread (new release!).

Postby ETTiNGRiNDER » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:40 pm

You're right, it does seem that locking it to 24 FPS makes things run more like they should, even though it seems like a rather low framerate. For now, I'll go with it unless it turns out to have problems that weren't immediately noticeable.

I've gone ahead and released a new EGwhaven build since it's been a long time and there are some new fixes I want to push out (special thanks to Adam Biser for figuring a few of these out). Consider this release to be somewhat experimental, though, especially the Witchaven I version. There may be a few regressions in WH2 compared to v0.5 so if v0.5 was working well for you, you might want to hang onto it (old version downloads will remain on my site).
What's new:
- The project is now split into two versions: one for Witchaven I and one for Witchaven II.
- EGWH1 gets some fixes to clock speed issues and the treasure chest bug as with WH2. GAME and WARP parameters have also been backported.
- EGWH2 gets some fixes to clock speed issues and the stuttering cinematic bug should be fixed/reduced.

You can find it at the usual place:
http://ettingrinder.youfailit.net/wh-egwhaven.html

Let me know if there are any new bugs appearing that haven't previously been an issue.
moggimus

Postby moggimus » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:40 am

Hi there, I just wanted to say thank you for continuing to work on this project.
ETTiNGRiNDER

Postby ETTiNGRiNDER » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:10 pm

So, any feedback on the latest version? I'm not sure if the silence is because people are satisfied with it, or because calling it "experimental" scared anyone off from trying it.

moggimus wrote:Hi there, I just wanted to say thank you for continuing to work on this project.

You're welcome!
adambiser

Postby adambiser » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:38 pm

I got swamped with stuff and haven't had the chance to try it. :(
I appreciate you keeping the project alive, too.
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:07 am

Sorry EG, I would love to be all over these games, since there so cool. Especially I would like to tryout your EGWH1. But I been much to busy with Real life.
I hope to find time to hit up the BUILD Games again soon.

BTW Thanks guys for getting WH1 working.
pagb666

Postby pagb666 » Thu May 04, 2017 5:08 pm

I am currently replaying WH2 using this port and I found a weird issue (that also happens in the original game binaries). This is running under dosbox.

The game's framerate seems "capped", BUT if i open the map it runs smooth as silk. Also empty slots in the potions UI flickers when I open the map. Even when setting the viewport to full screen, the game will run at ~20-25fps until I open the map. Weird. Any ideas? A bug? Something on my end?
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Sun May 21, 2017 6:02 am

If the WH games (original or src mod) are not running smoothly in dosbox for you, maybe try reading one of my setup documents, the one about dosbox.

The games run fine here. But I do remember flicker with the potions on the hud. Not sure if it was fixed in EGWH or not, you'll have to take alook at EG's web site for his comprehensive bug list.

Return to “Witchaven”