Possibility of an unofficial patch

3371-Alpha

Possibility of an unofficial patch

Postby 3371-Alpha » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:49 am

I know reversed engineered source ports are being worked on as we speak but are there any possibilities of an unofficial patch for the vanilla DOS Blood? I ask because one user on GOG attempted this, It didn't end well but he tried. I'm not claiming to be a programmer, the most "programming" I've done is simple Python and some HTML. But how difficult would patching up ol' Blood be, in both maps and engine?
Corvin

Re: Possibility of an unofficial patch

Postby Corvin » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:00 pm

It would probably take someone to find the locations in the exe that are causing problems and hex edit them. It would take along time unless someone has mapped the exe out already.

The maps can be fixed through mapedit.

What bugs are causing issues for you?
3371-Alpha

Postby 3371-Alpha » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:10 am

Sorry for not responding sooner, mostly just the typical bugs every Blood user get plagued with. The Blood wiki pretty much has all of them listed, though can I ask you to verify a few other I think I may have found? In some areas, usually ones near an upper level, if you jump on an object you will get a brief graphics "flutter", almost like everything turns invisible or flickers for a moment. The easiest way I found to cause this is to hop on the tomb stones in the first level. And inside the first level of the third episode, the first secret behind the painting can be opened repeatedly for unlimited secrets. After that I mostly just have minor annoying graphical inconsistencies (misaligned textures, boxes that have a wall texture on one side and a normal crate texture on the other, ect.).
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:45 pm

You using DOSBox or DOS to run blood?

I'm not getting any video flicker, at least last time I played it, which was probably a month ago. I never recall any flicker, other than the status bar in dosbox, but that's easily fixed.

I haven't played recently to try anything else out. :( Maybe if BME comes by he may have experienced these bugs.
3371-Alpha

Postby 3371-Alpha » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:49 am

I'm using DOSBox. I own both an old 2008 iMac (the ones that still have a cd drive :D ) and a cheap dell laptop, issue occurs on both. I also just remembered another display related glitch. Seems I'm also not the only one who experiences it, It occurs when you change to a non-standard resolution to view the cutscenes (which are recorded at 640x480 res) then when it switches back for the game to start the screen gets distorted. This may be the Matrox problem mentioned in the games readme files. Tried using Scitech UniVBE but didn't help. In-fact, 5.3+ just gave me a blank screen, despite threads out there mentioning it works on DOSBox (in fairness 5.1 works, but it requires a serial which I don't have).
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:03 am

Not sure whats going on, did you follow my settings for dosbox?
http://www.r-t-c-m.com/knowledge-base/d ... oxemu.html
3371-Alpha

Postby 3371-Alpha » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:17 pm

I actually didn't notice that guide, though I do have all those changes applied except the extended memory/ems. Still has those issues. I think they may be related to Blood's room-over-room support. Like I said, only happen when jumping near an elevated platform/area. I once read that Shadow Warrior received additional fixes to it's RoR that were never back ported to Blood. The cutscenes one is something else though.

Your guide also has some missing info, not much though. First one's something I personally experimented with. You mentioned enabling the visa fix in machine type causes screen tearing, enabling double buffering fixes this. Not sure if it fixes the flicker but it certainly fixes the screen tearing. Also for MIDI and GUS, it's recommended you disable them for games that don't support MIDI, like Shadow Warrior that uses Redbook instead. Also some build games, like Shadow Warrior again, have a low playback rate for sounds. To save cpu power and improve performance you can reduce the rate of all reverent audio devices. If the game's not going to achieve that rate then there's no point in keeping it that high.
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:04 pm

okay, Thank you for the additional information. I'll look into it when I get time and see if I can add those details in.

Sorry can't help with the other issues. But I think your figuring it out yourself.

EDIT: You mentioned double buffer removes the tearing. the config file for dosbox mention's it fixes flickering. There must have been a reason I didn't note to use double buffer (fullbuffer), I think it was cause it slows the game so much, its undesirable to play it. The S3 video setting should work without the fullbuffer and not have tearing nor the slowdown.

Again I'll have to find some time to test out a few of the games.
BME

Postby BME » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:27 pm

About flickering; In the first map when jumping on tomb stones the graphics appear to be buggy for an instance, this has to do with going from a lower to upper stack. Blood does not have a true ROR effect, therefor ripping can be seen.

Some people are already reverse engineering the Blood exe by using the Alpha code.
3371-Alpha

Postby 3371-Alpha » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:26 am

So it's just as I expected then, it's a bug in RoR. Is it still feasible to patch some of the other issues though?

Return to “Blood”