Blood Possibly Coming Back

Corvin

Blood Possibly Coming Back

Postby Corvin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:34 am

From what I read it looks like Blood could see the source code patched up for another time.
https://twitter.com/JaceHall/status/751611945292222464
Jace Hall(ex Monolith) and Nick Newhard (Blood Game Designer and Programmer) are just 'talking'.
http://www.r-t-c-m.com/knowledge-base/b ... tml#credit

I just hope there's no eduke32 in there for obvious reasons, That engine turned out to be a mess and bloated, Bloods to good to be with that mixed company.
Bug ridden, incomplete renders, requires one brand of video card to run the demanding renders, no multiplayer, requires a lot of cpu power, and the mixed company doesn't remark the source code, and their making a monopoly out of the engine for their own sake.
rgstever
Site Admin

Re: Blood Possibly Coming Back

Postby rgstever » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:19 am

I do dislike how with Eduke32 I can't run polymer with my r9 390x in crossfire mode. Even with a single card it runs like garbage, however if i stick a low end Nvidia card in my ESXi box, I have no issues running polymer. The excuse from the devs is always something along the lines of, we need more time to optimize (you've had years and years to do this) or, maybe you should run an Nvidia card, or my favorite, you don't know what you are talking about.
Now from someone who does have a background in software development (me), I can say that the dev's are lazy, the code is indicative of, long periods of inactivity and lack of commenting. The lack of commenting makes optimization difficult. GZdoom is well optimized and has a community who takes active interest in it's functionality on a wide range of cards. If it takes years to optimize a rendering engine, you are doing something wrong. However Eduke32 is the only game in town, and sadly I'm willing to deal with it. I would create a better rendering engine if not for the fact that I have to work for a living.
This really isn't a bash against the community, I do enjoy the mappers and TC's that are available. It's just the lack of interest for better runtime optimization that most source ports have already licked. Aleph One is another good engine that can run on most any platform very well.
Host and site admin.
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:19 pm

I though the game engine had 4 renders leaving only Classic and Ken S. Polymost being the only ones optimized.
I tried a while ago eduke32 with an ATI 42000HD and it displayed black sprites and menus and the game would try to connect to the internet for some reason in the background.
rgstever
Site Admin

Postby rgstever » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:41 am

Corvin wrote:I though the game engine had 4 renders leaving only Classic and Ken S. Polymost being the only ones optimized.
I tried a while ago eduke32 with an ATI 42000HD and it displayed black sprites and menus and the game would try to connect to the internet for some reason in the background.

I'm specifically ranting about polymer. The classic and for the most part polymost renders are fine. Although polymost has performance issues with ATI cards as well, just not as bad as polymer. However true RoR can only be performed in polymer which limits ATI users on map selections, unless you like 15fps on average.
Host and site admin.
BME

Postby BME » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:00 pm

I would rather see a modern high quality incarnation; Blood 3.
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:44 pm

I can understand that. But that's beyond the scope of this site and my interest.

I know on the Transfusion Forum they discuss a lot of what they would want from a Blood 3 game.
BME

Postby BME » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:27 pm

Corvin wrote:I can understand that. But that's beyond the scope of this site and my interest.

True. I also hope to hear something new from Cosmo the Coder and his BuildSharp project, haven't heard anything new for well over a year now if I'm correct.

For the newcomers; here's his last video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Smi1G0zv40

And blog: https://sites.google.com/site/buildsharp/
rgstever
Site Admin

Postby rgstever » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:32 pm

BME wrote:I would rather see a modern high quality incarnation; Blood 3.

I would too; the modern Shadow Warrior is fantastically fun. However it's the Build engine that I really want to see it in, or at least how it renders environments. The Build engine just has this ability to render rather pseudo-detailed indoor and outdoor locations If done well.
It lives by Luciano "Gambini" Gallo http://msdn.duke4.net/hotitlives.shtml comes to mind about the amount of detail that can be acquired from the build engine, the way it feels and plays is also very important. I would much rather see Blood in an updated Build engine than something new, it needs that grittiness of the Build engine over all else. The Build engine just creates this great atmosphere of dread and misery so damn well.
Host and site admin.
BME

Postby BME » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:56 pm

It is indeed an art in itself to make something with the Build engine that looks fresh, especially natural looking outdoors stuff. I also would like to see Blood 1 the way it looks right now 'cus that's the way we have come to know it.
As an update I would like to see a major increase of sectors, walls and sprites and also some extra Types for sectors and sprites for example a 'Path Sprite' Similar to that of the Path Sector but for sprites etc.
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:01 am

I'd say you BME would be best to give direction for such a patch for Blood 1 if they ever do it. Starting patching the DOS game would be ideal, then a Windows port of its tools and such would be ideal.

Also I seen Cosmo posted on Facebook a couple of days ago on his BuildSharp project. Hes trying to get the Frames of the AI to display correctly.

Return to “Blood”