A Powerslave / Exhumed Map and Game FAQ

oasiz

Re: A Powerslave / Exhumed Map and Game FAQ

Postby oasiz » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:43 pm

Already done with docs to get you started on mapping, most of the bulk work was done already on 2016 :)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11liHlp2_diL_83fbccFRQob7qm8DJREn-Ej1i1zg8wk/edit?usp=sharing

Included is a crude toolchain for mapping. M32 works well for editing, only issue is not having support for 64shade-shadetables, which makes shading a real pain in the ass.
I'd be really interested on seeing new stuff for the game!
-=CHE@TER=-

Postby -=CHE@TER=- » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:05 pm

oasiz wrote:Already done with docs to get you started on mapping, most of the bulk work was done already on 2016 :)

Nice! Few suggestions:
1) Please update link to the latest DeHacker version in "Playing tips" at least to this:

Code: Select all

http://www.r-t-c-m.com/knowledge-base/downloads-rtcm/powerslave-patches/

2) Also please fix descriptions for the commandline keys. Latest version can be found here.

3) Regarding CD music for the maps. Here is a code taken from the game executable:

MusicTrack = levelnum;
if (MusicTrack > 0) {
  MusicTrack = MusicTrack - 1;
}
playCDtrack((MusicTrack % 8) + 11);

So it's just loop over and over again for each 8 maps (% - modulo of division).

By the way if you have any suggestions for DeHacker - don't hesitate to write in appropriate topic. Thanks.
oasiz

Postby oasiz » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:34 pm

Cool!
Would be nice to fill in some blanks with the effects if you have some ideas.
There are not much intentions on keeping playing tips up to date but more to bring new mapping information to the table as it was largely non-existant before this (duke4 thread dates dec 2016)
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:27 pm

I been working on a map faq for PS for about 6 years now but this new info should speed things up with reference and comparison, thanks. I needed the help. Doing these type of research is painful by myself.
Not sure why you have that thug site linked back to the stolen site content by terminx.
There was a warning to access the map tools though. Hopefully we'll have another editor soon.

Also the playing tips are out dated and some other info I have updated it a few times in the past few years a couple of times, and with -=CHE@TER=-s help.
oasiz

Postby oasiz » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:37 pm

no problem. I don't intend on taking sides here so links are what they are. I did change the link earlier today though.
It seems that some of the data was lifted off from RTCM, probably mostly since we used this as a cheat sheet quite a lot as we edited stuff.

Links have been fixed, seems that i forgot to update the domain since I migrated servers and started using HTTPS, should be good to go now!
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:16 pm

I don't see there being sides at all. Just whats right. All the things he did where wrong, and still are.

Anyhow changing the link is proactive as it points to the correct files now, etc. That will help others that visit your doc.
Thanks for fixing the download too as per my complaint.

I just hope you or I will have an updated more friendly doc made up in the future to help potential PS/EX mappers.
Even if nobody maps for it, the info is will be there. Its neat just have have stuff documented even just to read through.

Looking at what you guys did it appears extensive. I'll have to link that doc/page on the community links page, its too much good info not to have others see it.
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:56 am

Your doc mentions 64 shades....
Wheres the knowledge of the 64 shades?
Is there a file size in question or evidence of 64 shades?
From documentation in 1995 from Ken S. its said that only 32 exists in the new format.
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:56 pm

Did you delete your post?

EDIT: Never mind. Found out what happen to it (here it is):

Post by oasiz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:01 am

ps/ex uses 64 shades, apparently something that duke3d experimented with as well during some point from what I recall by having discussions with TX/Hendricks when working on this.

In short, shades normally go from -32 to 32 but in PS/EX it's -64 to 64. This results in very inaccurate "WYSIWYG" shading when you want to create darker areas.
I don't remember which file had it but you can also open the raw shadetable with the correct PAL to see that it's something like 64x256. It's been a while so I can't pinpoint more than that.

There are a few advanced tricks used in the first map and third map inside that pack btw.
One of them is to create a touchplate-based exploding wall which relies on having a flame shooter & exploding vats in another "dimension" occupying the same x/y/z as a breakable wall. Pretty nasty but very effective.
Pack should have an example map that shows pretty much everything in action that the game offers out of the box.

Thanks for that explanation, should help. I'm very ill right now so I'm not doing to well at the moment but I'll look into it more.
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:56 am

Yes there is a new proper map editor for PS /EX.
As far as I know its still being quirked proofed a bit.

The last version didn't work on WinXP though. (should work with Win7 I think and up)
I'm waiting for the release date of it. Hope its sooner than later.

EDIT:
JonoF said to download it from this link (Its not back ported for older Windows yet)
http://static.jonof.id.au/tmp/build-c4deacd.zip
-=CHE@TER=-

Postby -=CHE@TER=- » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:36 pm

Hey, guys, oasiz and MetHy did you want to test Exhumed/PowerSlave map fixer tool?

I did small tool to fix map files so you can place sprites as in other Build games - all necessary tags will be fixed by tool automatically. You'll need an ini-file like this one (I already fill it with some data):

[881]
title=ammo belt 60
lotag=8
hitag=60
xrepeat=76
yrepeat=49

[882]
title=ammo belt 120
lotag=8
hitag=120
xrepeat=76
yrepeat=57

This will be used by tool. There are 3 modes available:
- fix tags and sizes (xrepeat, yrepeat) by tile number
- change tile number by lotag value (mostly to fix original levels since here a lot of tiles didn't match their lotags: as example blood bowl tile can be used with grenade lotag - i.e. in game there will be grenade, but in BUILD.EXE you'll see blood bowl instead)
- generate NAMES.H file (to use with the BUILD.EXE)

Anyone willing to test?

Return to “Powerslave / Exhumed”