Exhumed / PowerSlave DeHacker Updated

Corvin

Re: Exhumed / PowerSlave DeHacker Updated

Postby Corvin » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:34 am

About hit point: I think i was thinking of egwhaven sorry. I was Probably was tired that night.

Anyhow , I'm not sure what to do with the Cobra staff vs omen wasp. Sorry again.

Maybe someone else has an opinion, better informed than I.
-=CHE@TER=-

Postby -=CHE@TER=- » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:07 am

I've got an e-mail from the person who has another problem with the Exhumed / PowerSlave.
Actually I got that e-mail in the spam box on 23 May, but noticed it only now.
I instanlty replied back but one week already passed and I still didn't get any reply (just checked spam box again).
The person says that he has a problem on real hardware of his retrogaming PC: "PC under Windows98se with a card "3dfx Voodoo 3" (latest official drivers)". The game didn't work in any resolution except 320x200 with the error "VESA mode not supported". He also says that other BUILD games like Duke Nukem 3D, Blood and Redneck Rampage works in higher resolutions just fine.
I've checked and compared Duke 3D source codes with the internals of Powerslave and noticed that there are very different code to initializing graphic subsystem. Old code very similar to this (it's in Russian but you need only code from page 51 and a couple of followed pages). I've checked source codes for first Witchaven and it's the same as one in Powerslave, but there still no sources of the BUILD engine (only binary ENGINE.OBJ file), so it's hard to understand what's wrong and first Witchaven probably affected with this bug too.
I've already suggested him to use VESA 2.0 patch for BUILD by Ken Silverman but since it's for the latest BUILD engine it may not work with the oldest version. And of course I can't reproduce this bug here since I don't have 3dfx Voodoo 3 hardware.
So:
1) If anyone know where I can obtain source codes for the older BUILD eninge - please tell me, since there is only latest version at the Ken Silverman site (already checked it).
2) If someone with the same problem willing to help to find a solution - please write me to my e-mail or (if I didn't reply back in a week) - please report here in this topic. Thanks!
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:59 pm

For older BUILD Engine code you can try Les Bird released code for what WH and Tekwar???
or
Ask Ken S. perhaps. I'm sure he can narrow down to the Build code used.

Not sure why he can't get the other res, perhaps he should use the "high res" command flag for PS.
Voodoo 3 I heard where flaky btw, and need special configuring by them selves to work properly for different games.
-=CHE@TER=-

Postby -=CHE@TER=- » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:53 pm

Corvin wrote:For older BUILD Engine code you can try Les Bird released code for what WH and Tekwar???
Ken Silverman never give anyone source codes for BUILD engine before his official release of the latest version. Because of that nor WH nor TW doesn't have it - as I said they have only already compiled binary ENGINE.OBJ file.

Corvin wrote:or
Ask Ken S. perhaps. I'm sure he can narrow down to the Build code used.
I've thinking about this but he probably didn't have it too. Because he already publised all of his programs, even some oldest Basic source codes. If he didn't publish earliest BUILD version - he probably don't have it at all. I will ask him if I didn't find the better solution (don't want to bother him much).

Corvin wrote:Not sure why he can't get the other res, perhaps he should use the "high res" command flag for PS.
Voodoo 3 I heard where flaky btw, and need special configuring by them selves to work properly for different games.
Some Google search reveals that VESA on Voodoo is a very famous bug. I take a quick look at the changes in that patch, but it's a nothing similar with the Powerslave. At least in the places where patches are (the are two bytes changed and one of them for faulty memory check according to that fix page).
Also this.
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:10 pm

Okay on Ken S.

I have a few windows documents for ruining BUILD Games on Win9x.
I've updated them even after the fact of those OS'es being useful.

http://www.r-t-c-m.com/knowledge-base/d ... games.html

That document should lead to configuring sound to.

Heres a direct link to SciTech info I have and had used back then.
http://www.r-t-c-m.com/knowledge-base/d ... tml#univbe
-=CHE@TER=-

Postby -=CHE@TER=- » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:01 pm

I just restored .XMI music support in the game. There are actually exists code for music playback but it's never called, so I add a jump from the end of the sound initialize and uninitialize routines to the appropriate music routines and now MIDI music works too. You'll need to copy all the *.MDI files from the BETA version of PowerSlave and setup your music card properly in MENU.EXE before that.
All music must be in the current folder with the game and in the same format as BETA: LEV0.XMI, LEV1.XMI, ..., LEV20.XMI (for each level). Actually you can just copy .XMI files from the BETA to test.
Few things you should know:
- Game sound library only understands .XMI (FORM/XMID) files and didn't work with .MID (MThd/MTrk) files. Because of that you'll probably have some troubles with making music since .XMI format not so common like .MID midi format. And there is also some internal format dependences since .XMI files from other games may not work (tried .XMI from The Legend of Kyrandia II: Hand of Fate and it's played wrong).
- .XMI music will never stops after you finish current level or training and it changed only when loading new level, also there is no such thing as menu or cinematic music - only music for levels.
- .XMI music will be played along CD tracks if they present (needs a separate hack to disable CD music in that case).
- You can't stop XMI music (only turn off volume in options) and if some level doesn't have .XMI file for playback you'll be listening to the last played midi note of the last played music file (very annoying).
I'm not sure is it worth to add this feature to the DeHacker since it requires some extra things to do (like copying files) and I'm not sure is there anyone who wants to listen to midi music instead of CD quality tracks. But it may be a nice feature for some standalone modification since .XMI music much less than CD image in size.
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:58 pm

I think it would be good for modding purposes. You defiantly will need to have a switch for CD tracks off.
Perhaps the switch will turn on Midi and turn off CDA in one selection, rather than two?

The Midi files , maybe you can include them from the beta, or is that something you rather not pack-in?

The Miles sounds System v2 for DOS is open source, if that will help you?
-=CHE@TER=-

Postby -=CHE@TER=- » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:47 pm

Corvin wrote:I think it would be good for modding purposes. You defiantly will need to have a switch for CD tracks off.
Perhaps the switch will turn on Midi and turn off CDA in one selection, rather than two?
Yes, something like that. The only problem here was the No-CD hack because playing *.XMI files will require you to apply No-CD and disable CD music tracks in that case. But with DeHacker you can easily disable No-CD - i.e. reenable CD music tracks, but since No-CD will not disable *.XMI playback you'll be listening to CD audio along midi music. I will try to think about some solution to this.

Corvin wrote:The Midi files , maybe you can include them from the beta, or is that something you rather not pack-in?
All required files from the beta version will be around 250 KB in total. It's not much (in .ZIP archive it will be even less), but I try to avoid to use any copyrighted work as much as possible. It's not like it will be a problem for 20+ years old game or something, but if I keep my work free from this - me or anyone else who use my work (since all my work comes with source codes) will have a lot more degree of freedom than in any other case. And all this additional files will be completely useless for casual player anyway, only for those who wants to mod a game.

Corvin wrote:The Miles sounds System v2 for DOS is open source, if that will help you?
Thanks for the suggestion! I already checked it and sadly it's no big help since game uses Audio Interface Library (AIL) version 3.02 and it has too much differences compared to older version 2.x.

On to other news. I found another bug. If you have one (last) grenade and died when firing it (i.e. pressed and hold [Fire] but died before grenade explodes) you'll be restarted at last checkpoint with grenades weapon (i.e. you'll see a hand with grenade in it before yourself as like you still have ammo), but since you don't have any grenades left (it's still zero) you won't be able to fire anything until you switch to another weapon. This will catch me good, because in the heat of the combat I was totally like "what the heck? why he didn't throw a grenade? what's wrong?" And only after a few moments I noticed zero ammo count.

Return to “Powerslave / Exhumed”