The right nav bar?

Discussion for anything RTCM
Corvin

The right nav bar?

Postby Corvin » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:54 am

Does the file section of the right nav bar work for you guys?

or

Should I simply place all the file linked pages under each game?

Like all src-jfswarrior-XXXX links under the Shadow Warrior Game header, etc....?
I'm seriously thinking of combining those links under each game appropriately, there would be no separation of src links and the other downloads per game, except a blank line.
Hank

Re: The right nav bar?

Postby Hank » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:44 am

Both, it does work, but shorten it would make it better.
... time waits for no one.
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:30 am

hmmm shorter?
Wouldn't you prefer to click once to get to the page you want, or several pages to get where you want?

I could combine hot links and quick links together, ultimately removing on of those divisions.
Besides that I'm not sure. I was going to add some more graphics in it too, I guess I will not do that now.

Is it really all that unnecessary long?
Hank

Postby Hank » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:52 pm

I'm just giving my opinion.
It might be simpler to only see the game (with it's logo), and then a fly-out to all relevant links and pages, once you hover or click on it (game logo).

Yet, as it is right now, it works for me also. ;)
... time waits for no one.
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:27 am

I know it is your opinion. its important though.

I know what you mean, but that would mean making the site with javascript or flash or something. I'm not educated enough on those as I abandoned those ideas early on.
But we did have for about a week a great and awesome menu that stored away to the right until you moved over one pixel and it poped out.
Unfortunately it slowed down any updates too the site as I had no idea how to use code in the menu to add new addition in. E-mails to the web designer where delayed on getting things done as well.

It would probably be nicer and easier today. But I'm not willing to make pop out menus because I'd have to spend so much more time on the site and too much learning that I might not even be capable of.

But I value your input Hank. I may still list the related downloads under the game logos as it is. But the universal stuff I'll leave separate.
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:15 am

I have not done much for shortening the nav bar yet. Not sure I can really. Its just too cool to jump to all those locations with a single click, if I shorten it, then well be click 2 to 3 times blindly.
Plus I don't want to duplicate a link more than once in special cases.

Does anyone want to maintain a Official Gateway to RTCM off server? Maybe that would be nice to have, like I use to have a Gateway, but I hated maintaining it to tell you the truth.
It was a well organized site map, more like a nav bar but spread out horizontally. I might still have it on my first back up of the site on CD or Floppy. Probably transferred to DVD already though.
If I can't find it I can recreate something like it if it needs be.
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:15 am

eh, sorry. lost interest in the right nav bar format change. I added in graphical headers for each section of the files, But It was just nonsense. So I decided against it.
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:51 am

I'm just toying with the idea of the right navbar as a free from frames idea.
(You still can navigate 99% of the site.)

RTCM Site Right Navbar
http://www.r-t-c-m.com/frames/navright.html

Let me know if there are issues for you.
-=CHE@TER=-

Postby -=CHE@TER=- » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:19 am

I'm not sure - do you want to get rid of the right navbar?
My homepage was on the frames before too, but I write a simple "compiler" for my site in PHP (actually you can use any scripting language you are familiar with), so when I need to change anything I just recompile my whole site with the new template and upload modified pages. My PHP script goes through all pages and inserts everything between specified tags from the old page into new template (also with keywords and page title).
Pros and cons for that method:
+ menu will be always available at any site page since it was always in the page code
+ you can instantly and automatically without any manual editing change the style for all site pages
+ you also can add ability to the script to check links or whatever you want
- each page size will be bigger due to menu code (overall site size will be bigger too)
- each site page must follow choosen template so the script will update it (page will be skipped otherwise, but you can always check the logs for errors)
So that's the basic idea.
Corvin

Postby Corvin » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:54 pm

Naw, I'm only looking for alternative for frames, not necessarily removing them, which I believe I found, now that I have everything on the navbar.
One can just load up the right nav bar and navigate that way.

I don't mind the frames myself, they treated me well over the years. ;)

If you see any little tweaks that need to be made, please let me know. Or bothersome errors.
Thanks for the help. :)

Return to “Site Help and Feedback”